View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 An open source microcontroller using RISC-V 

Hackaday reports a crowdfunded effort to make custom silicon of an open source SoC design, MRISC-V:
Quote:
If you want to get your hands on one of these open microcontrollers, the Crowd Supply campaign is actually fairly reasonable, considering this is custom silicon. $49 USD gets you a first-run mRISC-V in a QFN-32 package. $99 gets you the mRISC-V dev board with an SD card slot, USB, regulators, and of course the micro itself.

Quote:
The 2x2mm chip will be made in a 130nm process and aims to be the equivalent of commercial microcontrollers implemented with an ARM M0 core.

Quote:
The OnChip Open-V microcontroller is a completely free (as in freedom) and open source 32-bit microcontroller based on the RISC-V architecture. ... This isn’t just a one-time thing - we’re planning on keeping the Open-V in production for as long as there is demand. Our initial manufacturing run will produce approximately 70,000 chips.

There's an interesting tabulation on the crowdfunding site comparing various microcontrollers.

(we've mentioned RISC-V before - in that case, the lowRISC linux-capable implementation.)

Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:11 pm

32-pin 32-bit chip? That sounds like a lot of multiplexing.. or some severe limitations.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:47 am

I didn't spot that! But then, if it's a microcontroller, those pins are I/Os. You'll have seen the TGL-6502 project, perhaps, built around an 8-pin ARM microcontroller?

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:42 am

The 8K SRAM starts to sound like an actual limitation.. I'll go through those links now I think, the first look I did was from a mobile device so I didn't go deep.
I don't think I've heard about the TGL-6502 - will look that up.
Thanks,
-Tor

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:51 am

Oh, it's a beauty - see here
http://thegaragelab.com/introducing-the ... -computer/

Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]