View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 SAP-1 - 38 TTL chips, a Simple-As-Possible computer 

It seems several people over the years have taken up the challenge to build the "Simple-As-Possible" computer, from Malvino's 1992 book, Digital Computer Electronics.

I found tgmaxx/Tom's 38-chip build first: his writeup is here and includes two videos and full building instructions.

I found Kenneth Ellis McCall's in-browser emulator too, although I can't seem to get it to run any code(*). It may be a work-in-progress. He's got a couple of github projects - one for the emulator and one for an FPGA implementation.

(*) Edit: "It seems the trick is to flip PROG/RUN to RUN and AUTO/MAN to AUTO before pressing GO."

Stuart Martin is also making one, on breadboard, see here a photo. He notes that Ben Eater has a full set of instructional video posts, here:
Build an 8-bit computer from scratch
Also includes pointers to some videos laying the groundwork:
Quote:
f you want to dive into the details of how the computer works and understand it from first principles, but are a little unsure of how transistors and logic gates work (or just want a refresher), here’s a few videos to serve as an introduction:

Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 am

I always find this interesting, the idea of making one as simple as possible yet still able to do nearly anything (given enough time :lol: ). I was amused to see the dead-front loading of the SAP-1 38-chip build, like a tiny PDP-8. I'd enjoy seeing further discussion in our dead-front-panel topic on 6502.org (or here too).

Tue May 30, 2017 8:35 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]