View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Homebrew CPU webring 

Some machines new to me and some old favourites here:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~daveb/simp ... ghome.html

Quote:
The ring is open to any computer project featuring a home-built CPU. That CPU may emulate a commercial design, but it cannot be just an off-the-shelf chip.

The design must have been (at least partially) built in "real" hardware: paper designs and simulations don't cut it :-)

We find relay machines, transistor machines and TTL machines at least.

Via Keith Clark on gplus

Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:03 pm

That's impressive.

Our daughter-in-law's CS degree is virtually all software, for office and internet applications. She knows almost nothing about the hardware; but in a sophomore-level class about three years ago, they did have to breadboard a 4-bit computer from TTL, from the textbook, so they wouldn't be totally oblivious to what the hardware does inside the computer. She got it going, but scarcely after meeting the requirement, something went south. The students' breadboards were all put in a cabinet, as the prof planned to take them apart for the next semester's students to start over. Well, a new prof came and didn't do things the same, so the breadboards just sat there. Our DIL works there at the school now and was looking for something else and came across these, identified hers, and asked if she could borrow it to find out what was wrong with it. She brought it to me for help, and I got it going. It was all 7400 and 74LS TTL though, and I'm not used to the amount of current it takes (even though the clock speed was slow enough to see on a flashing LED), and feeling a little heat come off the breadboard!

Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]