View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next
 rj16 - a homebrew 16-bit cpu 

for me: it's interesting, but frankly there is *TOO MUCH* stuff.
I voted with a thumb up, anyway :D

Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:59 am

It's a good idea, I think, to start with a new dev vlog, in episodes: as an audience member, I'm far more likely to tackle substantial content if it's broken into pieces, and also if I'm viewing it as it turns up. There's something attractive about watching a new series as it comes out, and something intimidating about a box set.

Plus, preparing good video content is very time-consuming, so I see how it can be daunting from the production side!

Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:44 am

Every year, at the beginning of the new year, I am used to burn my project archive into a pile of DVD ram cartridges and to stock them as annual backup; doing this today I thought about your sentence ...

rj45 wrote:
trying to edit down something like 80 hours of video

... and ... thought that in my case, if I opened a YT channel I would have to edit something like ***16 years*** of video :o :lol:

A lot of thing changed since 2005, a lot of code was wrote and tested, again and again, I had hours of fun during too hot days in summer or during too cold days in winter, but I am not yet satisfied by the ISA: may be enough material for a long series? Or would I best flush its legacy away entirely, and reboot it as "Rev9" the definitive one?

Good question! Funny moment, sorry, I couldn't resist, but thinking about that, you had a great idea, may you have more luck and fun :D

Attachments:
A2-R9-cover.png
A2-R9-cover.png [ 5.89 KiB | Viewed 1115 times ]
Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:25 pm

Yes, preparing good content does consume a lot of time. But well, I do want to get better at it, and practice is good. Also what is really helpful is getting feedback so I can learn :-)

Thanks for the feedback about it being just too much stuff, I am not exactly sure how to apply it, but I did re-record a more simplified initial episode to try to introduce concepts a bit more slowly.

Also regarding editing down lots of footage, I have tried a few times to edit stuff I recorded months ago but it's really hard. It's a lot easier to edit something that's fresh, and if some parts just don't work out, I can re-record them. On the other hand there's so many discoveries of mine and revelations and aha moments that I can't bring people along for unless I share that footage.... so.... there's trade-offs.

Anyway, this is the first real content episode. I just add numbers, but well, you need to start somewhere, right?

https://youtu.be/DE-c6sWa178

Feedback is welcome. Are there any boring parts? Did I say something useless? Thanks!

Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:37 pm

You know, I am having a lot more fun editing than I thought I would :-)

The next video is ready: https://youtu.be/nFkOHzHCnYw

In this one, we go from adding two numbers to adding multiple numbers and remembering the result of each. So, the beginnings of memory. And we have a wild glitch caught on camera :-)

I must say, I like how this one turned out. There's a few places where editing was a bit ugly, but overall I kind of like the asking questions and discovering things approach. I am curious if you like it though. Also, if there's anything confusing (or any other feedback), please let me know. You can leave comments here or on the video or you can PM me on this board.

I am having a few regrets about the intro video. I think it *is* just too much. I could totally get into those details later in the series, and I am afraid the detail might scare new people away. I think, though, it might be prudent to wait a few more episodes to see what a better intro video might be. I am curious about your thoughts though.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:29 pm

Built out the register file here:

https://youtu.be/Y6c7K78MAZk

It can now read registers, and I pulled the register file out into a separate embedded circuit.

Feedback, as always, is very welcome :-)

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:17 pm

Well, people are clicking these links and seem to watch the videos, so I will keep posting.

This one was recorded perhaps a little early in the morning so it's a bit scattered, but well... I don't script these videos. Maybe I should consider it. But I feel like it's more genuine if I don't.

Anyway, in this video I build out the program memory store, and add a diagnostic output for the one instruction the computer currently supports. This is with the goal of adding more instructions very soon.

https://youtu.be/PWlgQth2-VU

Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 pm

So for this video I spent some time trying to figure out how to automate some of the editing. I found auto-editor, which is a python script that will do silence and motion detection and I tinkered with the settings until I got it working decently well.

So, the quality might go down a bit for the next episode or two as I adjust to this new process. Hopefully it will speed things up so I can make more progress in a week instead of spending so long editing.

But anyway, in this video I build a crude assembler in Digital. I normally use customasm but I was curious if I could delay that a few more episodes.

https://youtu.be/HFJm_9P6l50

Please let me know if the automated editing is awful. It definitely has a different feel to it, but I don't think it's bad per say, just different. But I am curious what others think.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:44 am

(Interesting idea on auto-editor - I think it's worthwhile and didn't seem problematic to me. How much did it trim? I suspect there's no cheap shortcut to practising before performing, but I'm by no means an expert - I'm not even an absolute beginner.)

Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:26 am

So, it took a 41 minute video down to 33 minutes in the first pass where it cuts any parts with silence and no motion.

Then a second pass is run where it speeds up any silent video where I am not talking by x3. That trimmed it down to 21 minutes.

Then the only editing I had to do was trimming out the parts where I ramble, get side tracked, or have indecision about what I am building. That got it down to just under 18 minutes.

In the next episode it took it from 45 minutes down to 35 minutes in the first pass, then down to 25 minutes. I haven't started editing yet but I should be able to cut at least 5 minutes I suspect. It's almost upload worthy already though, just a few derps to cut.

One thing I am strongly considering is running this process on my old unedited footage. I mainly use that footage to regain context if I get distracted from a hobby project for a while. Having it take half as long (or less) to re-watch would be awesome. For that I could also speed up the parts where I am talking.

BTW: if you investigate auto-editor, the motion settings are tweaked for a webcam or other real-world footage. For screen capture footage, you need to greatly reduce the blurring it does (it defaults to 21, I fount more like 5 is much better). I tweaked the settings to detect the mouse moving though a bit of trial and error. I can share my settings once I have been using them for a while and am happy with them.

Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:38 pm

That's a pretty good gain for an automatic tool! I often watch at 1.5x or 2x depending on speaker and subject matter, so I reckon that takes it down to 10 minutes... (I usually ramp up in stages to the higher speeds, to give my brain a chance.)

Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:20 pm

What do you use to record video from your computer screen?

Sun Jan 17, 2021 9:11 pm

Just OBS. I have it set up to capture a 1280x720 section of my desktop so I can be mobile friendly. I also have some filters on my mic to try to make it sound better.

Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:46 am

All right, in this video I am more caffeinated and just running the auto-editor on it did almost all the editing required. I just cut out a few tangents. I think it turned out better than the last one. But I still need to get into the habit of not talking when building and try not to say anything or move the mouse when I am thinking.

So, this completely anonymous survey should take just one minute of your time or less. Especially if you watch the video all the way through I would appreciate if you take the time to fill this out. I set it not to collect your IP address or email or anything like that.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NL5JCQJ

So, here's the next video for you all. In this I add the jump instruction so we can now loop our program.

https://youtu.be/-fUM_UDNPN8

Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:42 pm

I spent the week attempting to come up with a better intro video. The old one, people were only watching 2.5 minutes of, so the new one is only 2.5 minutes long :-) I think it better represents the series and doesn't scare people off with fancy words that won't matter for a good long while.

In case you're curious, here's the link: https://youtu.be/FSVhlqE7EgA

Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 237 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 16  Next