View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Introduce yourself 

Hi all, Warren here. I grew up with Apple ][s and I've mainly done software and network admin in my life. Now I'm discovering the hardware side of things. I somehow managed to build my own 4-bit TTL CPU just by nutting things out myself (https://github.com/DoctorWkt/CSCv2), and I'm still amazed that it works.

Along the way I've learned some Verilog, and now I'm discovering things like ROM latencies and propagation delays that I'd never considered before. Still so much to learn.

Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 am

Hi Warren,

Welcome to the forums. As you can see from a couple of posts before, I am very new to this forums too. I will be interested to know more and learn from your project, as my set of skills regarding hardware are absolutely basic. As a side note, I also attempt to make my own designed TTL CPU, but in my case it will be a very long journey because I have set a relatively large set of project goals, and I have some health issues that prevent me to work on it for as much as I would like. Anyway, delighted to have someone joining the forums with a particular interest in TTL chips!

Joan

Wed May 15, 2019 1:19 pm

joanlluch wrote:
I am very new to this forums too. I will be interested to know more and learn from your project, as my set of skills regarding hardware are absolutely basic. ... Anyway, delighted to have someone joining the forums with a particular interest in TTL chips!

Joan

Joan, if you are also new to hardware and want to build a TTL design, that's exactly where I was a couple of years ago. I'd highly recommend you look at my CSCv2 CPU (and video series).

There's only 12 chips, each one has a specific job and there is very little "glue" logic. The video series builds it step by step, and also explains the concepts behind each section of the build.

Cheers, Warren

Edit: also apologies Joan, I've just read the 7400 TTL CPU thread and I can see you are much more informed than I assumed!!

Thu May 16, 2019 12:47 am
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3