View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Readings on CPU design, including RiSC-16 

Rob mentioned RiSC-16 recently, so I searched, and it turns out Jeff has mentioned some resources previously:
Dr Jefyll wrote:
This first document is a wonderfully complete and highly readable roadmap of the decisions you face as you dream up and flesh out your new architecture.
Creating Embedded Microcontrollers (Programmable State Machines), by Ken Chapman of Xilinx.

And here are a handful of pdf documents posted by Bruce Jacob of the University of Maryland. I've not been through them all but again the readability is high, despite the fact some of the topic material is non-trivial (eg: out-of-order execution).
The RiSC-16 Architecture

So, having bumped those links, I'd like to add the teaching page by John Loomis which has lots of links for further reading:
http://www.johnloomis.org/ece449/notes/Jacob/Jacob.html
Quote:
This page is devoted to the 16-bit Ridiculously Simple Computer (RiSC-16), a teaching ISA used by Prof. Bruce L. Jacob at the University of Maryland. The computer is based on the Little Computer (LC-896) developed by Peter Chen at the University of Michigan.

The following notes are extracted from two classes:
    ENEE 350 - Computer Organization
    ENEE 646 - Digital Computer Design

Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]