View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:35 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 OT: wildly off-topic posts and misdirected questions 

OT: wildly off-topic posts and misdirected questions

This thread created in response to this post:
WERTWAERT wrote:
HOW TO COUNT AMD PROCESSOR PIMN

HELLO
how to count processor pin of desktop ?

and several similar ones.

This thread is a collection point for posts which don't really belong on this forum at all. There is space for off-topic posts which are likely to be of interest to the active community here, and questions which help someone make progress on a project which is on-topic here, but sometimes we see questions which just don't fit at all.

By collecting such threads here I hope to make this a thread which anyone can freely ignore, so the weak content doesn't waste anyone's time and attention.

This forum is all about constructing and programming retro computers and single board computers, and homebrew CPUs. Anything about PCs is very likely to be off-topic, unless it's in aid of an on-topic project.

Here's a tip for posters:
You should always start by searching. If you can't use Google or Bing, try DuckDuckGo or Browserling. Once you've searched, even if you didn't find an answer, you will have found information which helps you write a better question. A good question will explain what you do know and what you have found and what you'd like to know and what you're trying to do.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:36 am

I don't think I understand your question, but possibly these articles will help:

AMD Sockets: AM2/AM2+/AM3/AM3 And F/FM1/FM2 (Tom's Hardware)
AMD ends multi-socket madness with next-gen AM4 chipset (Digital Trends)

Edit: Personal Computer questions are off-topic here and will be deleted. These forums are for discussions about building and programming retro computers and single board computers, and homebrew CPU designs and other unusual CPU architectures.

Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:36 pm

hello
which plane is used in plane?

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:47 am

hello
i am intrested in video led display for showing adds
please tell more how to start it?

Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:57 am

sorry processor or hardware

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:10 am

This thread is a collection point for posts which don't really belong on this forum at all. There is space for off-topic posts which are likely to be of interest to the active community here, and questions which help someone make progress on a project which is on-topic here, but sometimes we see questions which just don't fit at all.

By collecting such threads here I hope to make this a thread which anyone can freely ignore, so the weak content doesn't waste anyone's time and attention.

This forum is all about constructing and programming retro computers and single board computers, and homebrew CPUs. Anything about PCs is very likely to be off-topic, unless it's in aid of an on-topic project.

Here's a tip for posters:
You should always start by searching. If you can't use Google or Bing, try DuckDuckGo or Browserling. Once you've searched, even if you didn't find an answer, you will have found information which helps you write a better question. A good question will explain what you do know and what you have found and what you'd like to know and what you're trying to do.

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 am

hi, this forum could literally run on your old $15 android cell phone in your room, so you dont have to pay for the hosting

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:04 pm

There's two questions: how it's hosted, and how it's paid for. By convention, the person running the forum gets to choose how to host it. As you'll see from the other thread, there are ideas about that.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:26 pm

Geri wrote:
hi, this forum could literally run on your old $15 android cell phone in your room, so you dont have to pay for the hosting
No it can't. Please don't digress.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:27 pm

If you host it yourself, you would probably at least want a static IP address. The server our son has at home no longer hosts my own website. My own is now on a virtual server with Digital Ocean whose connection speed is at least a hundred times as fast as ours at home. The server at home still hosts a couple of other websites that get very little traffic. Since we don't have a static IP address, the IP address changes every time there's a little down time from a re-boot after updating the server software, or after any power outage, and then the DNS has to be notified of the new IP address. I'm paying less for Digital Ocean than just the electric bill for the server at home whose power consumption admittedly includes a fair percentage for the mechanical disc drives. I don't know if I'm ready to trust the solid-state ones yet, for something where you're constantly writing to it. They seem to go down too often. So while you can do your own hosting, I still have reservations. A nephew hosted one on a RPi. I think it was just to show he could do it, and I think he only did it for a week or two.

Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:19 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 10 posts ]