View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 video - comparing four modern 64 bit CISC architectures 

50 min talk by Camiel Vanderhoeven from 2017

Quote:
An introduction to the X86-64 Architecture, and a comparison of this architecture with the VAX, Alpha, and Itanium architectures that OpenVMS currently runs on. Delivered at the OpenVMS Boot Camp 2017 in Westford, MA.

Comparing Architectures: VAX, Alpha, Itanium and X86-64 (OpenVMS Boot Camp 2017)

Can't find the slide deck (yet)

Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:31 pm

It sounds like that the VAX men don't like the ARM, MIPS, and x86.

Last edited by litwr on Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:20 pm

Well, there's a lot to not like about x86, especially if you're used to the VAX - or, for that matter, pretty much *any* sane ISA.

A dislike of ARM and MIPS, however, can only be put down to a bias against RISC. "What, you have to issue separate instructions to load a pre-and-post-indexed-double-indirect memory operand before you can calculate the cube root of it? I should be able to do that all in one instruction!"

Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Chromatix wrote:
Well, there's a lot to not like about x86, especially if you're used to the VAX - or, for that matter, pretty much *any* sane ISA.

A dislike of ARM and MIPS, however, can only be put down to a bias against RISC. "What, you have to issue separate instructions to load a pre-and-post-indexed-double-indirect memory operand before you can calculate the cube root of it? I should be able to do that all in one instruction!"

IMHO the sanity of ISA is rather a matter of taste. I have some VAX programming experience. IMHO it was like a ride on a dinosaur. The x86 ISA, on the contrary, has always been one of the best for its time. IMHO only the ARM-32 ISA could compete with it. It can not fail to impress much that the 8086 designed in a way that considers importance of atomic operations or simultaneous instruction execution. The latter was missed by the 68k and VAX ISA which set flags after almost every executed instruction. I was also impressed that the theoretically slower 8086 or even 8088 can outperform the large 68000 when they execute byte manipulation code.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]