View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Introduce yourself 

legacy :D

Last edited by legacy on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:54 pm

I grew up with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and Amiga computers. That's where i got an interest in programming. Now i work programming embedded systems and do the off bit of electronics design.

It;s fun to use some of these old systems again.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:16 pm

hAllo

Last edited by legacy on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:37 pm

Hi folks,

Chris here. Just getting into 68xx0 after missing it the first time round with Amigas and the ST because I was still messing around with CBM64s.

Wrote my first program for the Vic20 at the tender age of 13 and been writing assembler and embedded stuff ever since although technically I'm supposed to be a hardware guy.
Currently collaborating on the Kiwi project with Simon Ferber and SteveMoody (of DDraig fame) but also working on my own design.

I also keep a room full of 80's arcade games running.

Cheers

Chris

Last edited by Muppz on Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:34 pm

Welcome Chris! Found a link to Y Ddraig - perhaps you or I should post about this small family of 68k machines.

Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:44 pm

I just realized I haven't posted in this topic yet. See my intro on 6502.org, the first one on the page. It's kind of long but I hope you'll find it entertaining. I will keep updating it there (like with links to new articles I've posted).

My down-to-the-metal microprocessor experience has been with 6502/'816 and PIC16, but since others here have mentioned the MSP430, it's interesting that a potential employer has mentioned their desire to send me to an MSP430 seminar to jump-start me on that to develop things for them. I've worked for my current employer in circuit design (mostly analog) and embedded software development since 1992, but it has been quite slow for the last year (which has given me lots of time to research health matters and to work on my 6502-oriented website), so I might pick up something else.

Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:11 am
Profile WWW

Hey all.

I'm Mark VandeWettering, aka known as @brainwagon on Twitter and blogging at brainwagon.org. Like a lot of you, I took my first step into computing during the late 1970s and early 1980s with machines based upon the 6502 (notably, my old Atari 400). Over the years I've done a number of projects with emulating old systems (I wrote a PDP-1 simulator so I could play Spacewar!, and also write my own 8080 simulator that is up to playing Space Invaders) and now tinker with Arduino and other related microcontroller boards. I found out about this by following Ken Boak's twitter feed.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:48 pm

Welcome Mark! I recognised "brainwagon" as a handle - looks like I'm subscribed to your blog.

Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Mark,

Welcome to the forum.

I saw your simulation of the Blue CPU linked from here - not one that I was previously aware of. The OPC series of experimental cpus are certainly very interesting, in particular OPC6 - which runs at about 40MHz - and a good candidate for the BlackIce board.

In the light of the latest OPC6, EDSAC and Acorn Atom developments - it might be worth updating your BlackIce firmware.

Drop me an email - and we can discuss

regards

Ken

Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:31 am

Some of you may already have seen me over at 6502.org...

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:04 pm

Ah yes - found you. Welcome!

Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi, I found my way here by way of the homebrew CPU web ring and 6502.org. I've been working on my own CPU on and off for a few months now, so I thought I would benefit from the discussion.

I've been using computers since I was a kid and have been working as a professional programmer for several years, but have only relatively recently gotten deeply interested in digital electronics.

I started breadboard assembling the SAP-1 TTL computer from the Digital Computer Electronics book (also the subject of Ben Eater's YouTube series). But I was discouraged by wiring issues and slow iterations. I've since realized I'll do better if I make a complete schematic and construction plan before starting component assembly. A lesson for the next attempt.

Anyway, I moved off the breadboard and into VHDL (simulating in GHDL) and that's working very well. I've implemented LD, MOV, DEC, INC, ADD, JMP, and CALL/RET with stack so far. I also wrote a simple assembler for my instruction set.

I don't know much about FPGAs, but I know I'll need to move out of the GHDL simulator and into one when I start working on VGA signal and I/O, if not before.

Whether I stick with VHDL and go to an FPGA, or back to TTL, or to another microprocessor entirely, the end goal is to create a programmable home computer with video and sound and a custom operating system.

Looking forward to talking more with everyone here.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:41 am

Welcome! Sounds like a great project and you are well on your way.

Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 am

H all,

I plan to build a CPU essentially based on 74 series chips. I though it would join the forums to share my progress and hopefully get help from other members. I have already some general specs defined and I am currently working on a LLVC compiler backend for my defined instruction set. I have multiple interests (oddly enough also Steam Locomotives), but I have worked most of my life around embedded control systems and software development, including compilers and language interpreters for proprietary systems. However, I never really entered into the world of hardware design, so that's why I'm now excited to start this project. I'm semi-retired, so I theoretically have enough time to engage to complex projects, but a bilateral hand/wrist disability prevents me from using computers for long, so this may take longer than I would like.

So far I have been guided by 6502.org forum member "Drass", who I met through email after finding his amazing 74-xx based 6502 CPU featuring really great performance and what I regard as very clever implementation details. I'm unsure whether he's also a member of this anycpu forums, but he's been really helpful and he eventually suggested me to join here when I asked for a suitable forums for my project.

As part of this presentation message, I also want to say that English is not my first language, so although I have a generally good level of written English and I'm able to use correct grammar, I realise that my writing does not feel totally natural sometimes (or too formal), but I hope my writing is good enough for a effective communication, and just would want to ask for some patience in case I ask for language clarifications.

Anyway, I guess that I shall start by opening a "project" thread in this forums so I can begin posting relevant stuff...

Joan
(this translated into John, so I'm male)

Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:29 am

Welcome! I look forward to seeing your new thread...
(Your English is absolutely fine!)

Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next