View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 What boards/forums should we have 
Site Admin

Ok then, I'll do as suggested.
If you find any forum plugins that would help with the forum structure tags please post here a link.

Sat Feb 16, 2013 7:16 pm
Site Admin

I modified the boards as you suggested.

Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks!

Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:27 pm

Garth wrote:
Can we make it kind of like SparkFun's front page? Others can pipe up to confirm, but I think the problem is not the titles of the various forums but rather that getting lost in the tree is a little disorienting. SparkFun still has various forums under different categories, but they can all be seen on the front page.

Agreed - we still have a forum hierarchy, instead of a flat list. I think we have too many, in fact.

What is the point of different categories? The only thing I can think of is that it allows a person who visits a high-traffic forum infrequently to catch up on only a subset: they might read all the software categories but none of the hardware categories. We're not a high-traffic forum! And there's a negative effect: to review what's on the forum as a whole, a newcomer has to walk down every category (and sub-category.) Anyone posting has to overcome an extra barrier of figuring out where to place the post.

(To find an answer on a specific subject, or news of a specific CPU, anyone would use search to see what's there - the categories are not the solution.)

The categorisation is one of two remaining reasons why I'm not yet ready to promote anycpu. (The other being email notifications)

Please, can we have a single short flat list of categories?

Cheers
Ed

Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:43 am

BigEd wrote:
Please, can we have a single short flat list of categories?

I feel the same way, and was about to re-state the request. But, oops, surprise -- it's already been done! This is a terrific improvement.

Honestly, with the previous arrangement, sometimes I'd come here to review one of my own posts and I wouldn't know what category it would be in! This is much better now.

Also we want to impress and entice any new visitors arriving here. It will be easier for us to "look busy" now that there are fewer categories! :D

-- Jeff

Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:18 am
Profile WWW

It certainly is better now! Thanks Dajgoro! (But it isn't quite a flat list: Hardware and Software still have sub-categories)

Cheers
Ed

Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3