View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Late Developer 

A major milestone passed tonight......... (only took 35 years)

I downloaded CodeBlocks for Windows - so now I can use gcc and g++ to compile and run C and C++ on my laptop.

I got Marcel's van Kervinck's Gigatron Simulator gtemu.c to run on the laptop, and I am now porting gtemu across to a 400MHz STM32H743 Nucleo board - programmed with the Arduino IDE.

I'm not really a strong programmer - it's taken 10 slog to get off "first base" with C - and if you don't do it everyday for a living, it soon evaporates from the grey matter.

Now that I can write some scungy code on the laptop and port it to the STM32H743 Nucleo target board, I can start to make some progress......

Remotivated,

Ken

Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:08 am

Well done! For me, there does seem to be a hump to get started with a new skill outside my comfort zone. In fact, a hump to get started with anything. It's something of a learning curve, and something of a potential barrier. Having the confidence to fail, and fail again, in the process of learning, is probably part of it.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:53 am

Yeah, good luck!

And whatever you are doing with your STM32H473 - even a dumb parallel output requires its clock (!) to be enabled first.

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:38 pm

Quote:
And whatever you are doing with your STM32H473 - even a dumb parallel output requires its clock (!) to be enabled first.

I have a hardware background - mostly pcb design with ARM devices for about the last 5 years. I can write enough C code to set up an STM32 and get it running - but mostly, these days, applications like STM CubeMX generate most of the low level peripheral support code for you.

When I left University I had written some Fortran on a VAX-11 and some assembly language on an 8088 - neither really useful these days! I certainly could no have earned a living writing firmware - I generally leave that to those that know what they are doing.

I tinkered with PIC assembly and wrote a whole bunch of routines to send and receive DTMF and modem tones - but PIC assembler is not fun. I got back into code when the Arduino came into common usage and I was impressed how much progress I could make with relatively small effort in coding. Now with powerful ARM processors incorporated into the Arduino IDE - I can do those same tasks - only at about 100 X execution speed.

I had held off from coding in C on the PC - because I wrongly believed that the toolchains were difficult to use - not ever having been taught or had need to use them. Having watched a YouTube video tutorial for CodeBlocks, and seen how easy it was to get something compiled and running with gcc - I decided to bite the bullet. With that first hurdle over, I can now start thinking about simple assembler and disassemblers.

Ken

Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]