View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 New host for anycpu 

Due to the recent host issues, it might be a good idea to move anycpu.org to a separate host, since now it uses a shared hosting with some other websites.
The site uses a shared hosting because it is much cheaper, and since I am still a student, and I don't have a job jet so I can't afford to spend much money.

Everyone interested in contributing please post in this topic.

Also, do you have any recommendations for a hosting service?

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 pm

I can contribute.

I know webfaction works well. I don't think godaddy is a good choice. Hostgator seems to be working OK.

Cheers
Ed

Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Sure, I wouldn't mind contributing a bit.

I can't say much about various hosting companies, but I definitely agree that it should be put somewhere that feels reasonably safe. And pick one where there's a way to get dumps of data and databases for external backups (and not rely on the hosting company completely).

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:13 pm

I will be interested in contributing as well.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:33 pm

I asked our son who put my website on a virtual server for $5 per month partly since he in his work was hogging up more and more of our bandwidth here at home, and here's what he said:
Quote:
If one is willing to completely manage all software aspects of the server, then DigitalOcean (https://www.digitalocean.com/) comes with no complaints by me. DigitalOcean allows one to take snapshot backups of the data and copy it to another server as well if desired, and does no managing of the virtual servers (leaving that entirely up to the customers) so I'd recommend looking into that solution.

Their slogan seems to be that it takes under a minute to deploy a server (not including the user time it takes to configure Ubuntu precisely as desired).

Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:58 pm
Profile WWW

I've had good experiences with Hawkhost shared hosting since we moved several of our sites there a few years ago. (My CamelForth site is hosted there.)

Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:05 pm
Profile WWW

I was on a trip so I was not able to address this matter sooner.

I think that it is best to use the hostgator host because we already have experience with them, and migrating the forum shouldn't be too hard.

For 2 years of hosting we need about 160$, and I created a donation widget and set it to the main page: http://anycpu.org/

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:18 am

Dajgoro wrote:
... we need about 160$, and I created a donation widget and set it to the main page: http://anycpu.org/

... looks like somebody already tossed in a "Hamilton" ... 8-) ;)

Mike

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:43 am

barrym95838 wrote:
Dajgoro wrote:
... we need about 160$, and I created a donation widget and set it to the main page: http://anycpu.org/

... looks like somebody already tossed in a "Hamilton" ... 8-) ;)

Mike

If it continues like this we could soon have our own hosting.

The only small drawback about this system of payment is that I will have to wait a month for paypal to unlock that money, dunno why they have such a policy.

Paypal quote:
Quote:
30 - day pending balance

Payments you receive go to your pending balance. Payments in your pending balance belong to you, but you can't use or withdraw them, usually for 30 days. After that, pending payments go to your available balance, unless PayPal is holding amounts for another reason, as specified in the PayPal User Agreement or other agreement that you have entered into with PayPal.

Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:49 am

A month seems a bit excessive, yes, but then again, there's no real rush, I guess. Only 45 more to go now. :)

Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:27 am

Just 20$ to go.

Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:36 pm

DONE!
We got 190$ (at the moment of writing this post) of the 160$ required!
The rest will be useful for the yearly domain renewal.

Now I have to wait 30 days for paypal to unlock the money.

Once we get our hosting we could even add some extra stuff on it, such as blogs, repository, and similar things for specific projects if anyone wants to add such content.

Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:48 am

I finally got the money, but it seems hostgator raised their prices.
A two year hosting is now $211.78, instead of the 160$ from a back when I initially looked.
I suggest that we take a 1 year hosting instead, and collect funds for the next year meanwhile.

Edit:
I see that we can still get the 2 year package, but with no addons.
Addons are:
Secure access to your site 1.68$/mo
Site daily backup 19.95$/mo

Should I ditch the addons and get 2 years, or addons and a single year?

Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:29 pm

Do you have links please? I can't find those prices on their site, or the secure access feature. Thanks!

Their default backup offering is very weak - one a week on a random day, and overwrites the previous week. You could easily lose everything and have your backup overwritten the following day.

I'm taking daily backups at present, in a clumsy way, but could do it in a clean way with more access. But if I go off-air someone else would have to be doing the same. If two people were taking daily backups I'd say there's no need to pay extra.

Cheers
Ed

Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:45 am

I can take daily backups as well - then we're two. Except that I'm not sure about the best way to backup/mirror a forum, I mirror a ton of websites but those are basically file servers.

-Tor

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next