View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Tiny, superfast gates rival programmable logic 

Logic gates are traditionally supplied in 14- and 16-pin packages containing several identical gates -- an arrangement which often won't exactly suit your needs. For example, a 74ac00 gives you four NAND gates whether you need that many or not. But that barrier -- and the speed barrier -- collapse when using single-gate devices such as those in the 74LVC1G series (NXP, Texas Instruments). Even the largest of these devices are pretty small. And, with typically one gate per package (the 2G series have two gates), they're far less likely to result in leftover, unneeded gates.

A more important factor is routing. PCB traces can be shorter because each device gets located in the spot it's needed. And, best of all, these chips are FAST. :shock: They have a maximum propagation time around 3 ns. For example, 2.7ns is the maximum for a SN74LVC1G10 3-input NAND driving 15 pF at 5 volts Vdd. (Low voltage operation is somewhat slower.)

The attached TI document pertains to products supplied in a single-gate or dual-gate configuration. 5- and 6-pin packages are common, but 8-pin offerings include 74LVC1G139 (half of a 74_139 decoder) and 74VLC3G04, a triple inverter (half of a 74_04).
Attachment:
How to Select Little Logic scya049a.pdf [1.03 MiB]
Downloaded 573 times

I've depicted some of the logic functions below, some of which (such as the 3-input XOR) aren't traditional. Also available but not shown are lots of tri-state and open-drain buffers, FET switches and so on. For a complete listing I suggest you visit your favorite supplier's web site and run a search for parts beginning with 74LVC1G. Even that won't be a complete listing, as families other than 74LVC also feature one-gate logic. Have a look for 2G and 3G, too.
Attachment:
sampling of one-gate functions.png
sampling of one-gate functions.png [ 51.45 KiB | Viewed 8201 times ]

The images below give an idea of size. The 6-pin SOT-23 package -- the largest of the three available packages -- is a good match for protoboard with .050" hole spacing (left), and can, with the use of two flying leads, even be hacked onto protoboard with .1" hole spacing (right).
Attachment:
SOT-23-6 package on .100 and .050 grid.png
SOT-23-6 package on .100 and .050 grid.png [ 589.27 KiB | Viewed 8201 times ]

Of course PCB mounting is the most comfortable habitat for these chips, and that's what many of you will choose. But I often use wire-wrap or point-to-point, so I designed some breakout boards to bring these tiny pinouts onto a .1" grid. The artwork for my breakout boards can be found at the end of this post.
Attachment:
IMG_2756CrpTchLores.JPG
IMG_2756CrpTchLores.JPG [ 82.4 KiB | Viewed 2549 times ]

The first of the two breakouts below is very general. It's a 20-pin design that can optionally be chopped in half. The artwork has traces for power and bypass capacitors but leaves all the signal pins uncommitted. The only assumption is that pins 2 and 5 on each chip are Gnd and Vcc, and most 74LVC chips seem to match this (although other families may not).

The second breakout is a 14-pin design with a more specific function. Most commonly, it would be used to cascade three gates into a fourth gate, resulting in a nine-input gate with a max prop delay of about 6 ns. Note that the gates needn't be identical (can be a mixture of AND NAND XOR NOR etc). One use for a fast, nine-input gate would be for fine-grained address decoding for memory-mapped I/O.

Less commonly, you might have occasion to replace one or more of the gates with a '1G373 transparent latch or '1G175 flipflop. (These have their outputs on pin 4, just as with the AND NAND OR NOR chips.)

-- Jeff
Attachment:
1G breakout 'a' and 'b'.png
1G breakout 'a' and 'b'.png [ 37.54 KiB | Viewed 8235 times ]

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:25 am
Profile WWW

Here's a thought - glue these chips upside down on a small board with some header pins, then wire up point to point. Then the board can be reprogrammed by rewiring.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:27 pm

I agree point to point is a useful option. And it makes sense to use the third dimension as you say, bringing the IC pins (or at least some of them) up off the board. But rather than flipping the chip on its back I'd prefer to leave it right side up -- and, rather than using glue for attachment, what I'd suggest is to solder each chips's supply pins (which are centrally placed) to pads or traces on the board. That helps keep the board tidy, since two parallel traces make a nice set of supply rails extending to several IC's, and bypass caps can easily be added. The four corner pins of each IC would be bent upward, and it's those pins that would be done individually, point-to-point.

Of course the other option is to use a breakout board. The ones shown above bring the connections onto a .1" grid, and my intention was that they'd insert in an IC socket -- thence to be attached by wire-wrap or any other method of choice.

cheers
Jeff

Last edited by Dr Jefyll on Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:06 pm
Profile WWW

Sounds good to me!

Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:10 pm

BigEd wrote:
Sounds good to me!

I was thinking they would be good to interface to say a SD card interface.
And PDP-8 fans out there, the flip/chips can now be reduced in making the classic transistor
PDP-8 1/4 size ...

Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:29 pm

Many of those same tiny gates now appear as 74AUP and 74AUC logic. Lower voltage and power, yet faster.
Trick appears to be low unmatched impedance to get the output moving, then resistance to prevent ringing.

Also not forget 74CBT bidirectional pass-transistor MUX. 74CBT3253 dual 4Way with 74LVC2G86 dual XOR
makes a very capable ALU slice, sharing a single SSOP to DIP28 converter with reasonable gap between.
No ringing prevention here, nothing faster than 6nS, but sometimes 5V compatibility is more important...

Sign me up for PDP-8. Missing a few parts, but got my father's old front panel...

Attachments:
PDP8E.png
PDP8E.png [ 411.37 KiB | Viewed 2070 times ]
Tue Sep 06, 2022 12:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]