View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 up for grabs: two SPARC workstations 

Hello, Anycpu! Today I received the following email from a friend.
Quote:
I have 2 SPARC workstations with 2 large CRT CAD monitors, as well as a SCSI tape drive SCSI floppy drive and a SCSI CD drive that I don't think I'll ever use. If you would be interested in them, please let me know and they are yours. Otherwise, I'll take them to the electronics recycling station at the dump as I can't see myself using them in the future. A number of years ago, [my son] installed Linux on one of them (replacing the Solaris O.S. that it came with) and played around with it. The other one he left alone.

I don't want this stuff, but I suspect somebody will. The challenge is to find that "somebody"! :P So I'm starting by posting the news here. It's free, except for expenses if any. Please note, I'll some have photos soon, but otherwise I have no further info to offer.

It would be great if a new home could be found within driving distance; this would avoid the nuisance & expense of packing and shipping. The stuff is presently in Stratford, Ontario, Canada -- about 90 min west of Toronto, between London and Kitchener-Waterloo. But if it helps I could leave it at my brother's place in St Catharines, Ontario, not far from Buffalo, NY.

PS- I am not on social media. Anycpu.org and 6502.org are my social media! :mrgreen:

-- Jeff

Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:44 am
Profile WWW

OK for me to post elsewhere? Any idea what model of workstation these are?

Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:55 am

Probably best to hold off for the moment, Ed. I'll have some photos (and the model numbers) sometime in the next few days. Thanks.

-- Jeff

Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:23 pm
Profile WWW

Great - look forward to it! If memory serves, I had experience at work ranging from the original SPARCstation to the Ultra 80.

Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:29 pm

Oops -- sorry, everyone. Due to a misunderstanding, the guy who was gonna give me the stuff took it to the E-waste recycle drop-off instead. :|

-- Jeff

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:22 pm
Profile WWW

Oh no! This is something which does sometimes seem to happen - especially when the potential donor has already run down to their deadline before asking, so they expect an immediate decision and action. It's a shame, but it's not uncommon.

Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]